Saturday, August 19, 2017

Ondeh Ondeh Cupcakes


I have fallen in love with Ondeh Ondeh after my third child. Dont ask me why, I also dont know. I have tried many Ondeh ondeh cakes and some are too sweet, some not to my liking and so on. 

I came across this recipe from Whisk n Fold when my fren introduce their Cheese Castella Cake recipe. So i bookmarked and told myself, I will try making some! 

In a haste, I wanted to halve the recipe and make a small batch. Then later on, I decided to make 1 full recipe but I only remember to increase the flour but not the rest of ingredients. And why it happen? Cos I was too occupied with my missing pandan paste and had to blend some pandan leaves to make my own. And i substitute the coconut milk to fresh milk to lower the feeling of guilt. 

I was wondering how come my batter was very thick, not wet so I added another 4-5Tbsp of milk. Baked as per recipe. Surprisingly the cupcake tasted fine, else than a bit of dry. The gula melaka coconut shreds was made with gula melaka syrup instead of boiling frm scratch. And after assembling, the buttercream + gula melaka coconut enhance the taste of the whole cupcake! Will definitely bake them again with the right amount this time! Haha!!

 Ondeh Ondeh Cupcakes (adapted & modified slightly from Whisk n Fold)
Cupcakes
300g Plain Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Salt
4-6 Pandan Leaves (blend with a bit of water and sieve)
240g Sugar
180g Butter
3 Eggs
180ml Milk

1) Sieve flour, salt and baking powder
2) Blend pandan leaves with a bit of water and sieve. Add enough milk to make 180ml
3) Beat butter & sugar til pale. Add eggs 1 by 1
4) Add 1/3 flour mixture and mix well, followed by 1/2 pandan milk mixture and mix. Then continue with 1/3 flour, milk and flour
5) Put on cupcake liners and bake at 180deg for 30-40mins or til skewer comes out clean
6) Leave to cool

Gula Melaka Coconut 
I estimate and pour out some dessicated coconut and mix with gula melaka syrup. Set aside.

Buttercream
2 whites
20g Sugar
40g Sugar
10ml water
100g Butter
1tsp Vanilla Paste

1) Beat whites and 20g sugar til soft peaks. Meringue should look glossy
2) Heat 40g sugar + 10ml water til 116deg. I normally bring to slight bubbling, count to 20 and off.
3) Leave mixer on high and slowly stream down syrup
4) Put mixer to medium and beat til meringue cool
5) Add butter cubes and mix at medium. Continue til all butter is added 
6) Add vanilla paste and beat til stiff peaks
7) Put in piping bag

Assembling:
1) Cut a hole in center of cupcakes
2) Put gula melaka coconut
3) Pipe buttercream over and drizzle some gula melaka syrup

No comments: