Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Stewed Pork (卤肉)


The other day, I was having Pig Organ's Soup at Serangoon Garden Market. Hubby was saying that the stews pork leg is so delish, and I realized I haven cooked this dish for very long. So, referring back to my previous recipe, I made some modifications.

I bought the whole pork knuckle as it is on offer at $8.90 from Cold Storage and a slab of Twee Bak from NTUC. And reason why the pork knuckle was on offer was that it is sold as a whole and they can't chop for u. So no choice, I had to cut off the meat off the bones, and leave the whole bones to slowly simmer with all the meat. I added Chinese mushrooms, some tau kwa and hard boiled eggs too.

This improvised version is more fragrant and so so nice. Great to go with a bowl of rice and i cooked my fav sambal brinjal and spicy black beqns shark fish. Yummy!



Stew Pork (modified from here)
1 Pork Knuckle
1 Slab Twee Bak
6-7 Chinese Mushroom, soaked and cut half
5-6 Hard Boiled Eggs
2 Big Tau Kwa, cut into 4s
Marinate (preferably night before or at least 3-4hours)
5Tbsp Oyster Sauce
5Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
3Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
Dash of Pepper
Some cornflour
1 clove Garlic, washed and separate
1/2 Ginger, cut
Gravy (when you boil, you need to add some more liquid & adjust accordingly to the taste)
3 Cups Water
2Tbsp Oyster Sauce
7Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 Star Anise
2Tbsp Hua Tiao

1) After marinate for 3-4hours or overnight, add in the above for 'gravy' and bring to boil.
2) Leave it to simmer til meat is 70% soft. Stir occasionally to prevent meat get burnt at bottom.
3) Add in Tau Kwa and eggs. Cooked til meat is soft.

No comments: