Monday, September 16, 2019

Chinese Orh Kueh (Yam cake)


Was inspired to make these when a fren passed me her mum’s homemade orh kueh! I super love it that I immediately googled and try to find some recipes to follow. I mixed and match some of the recipes I saw and came up with this 2 attempts. 


Attempt #1: This version I was too kancheong and uses the wrong yam. Resulting in a weird texture for the yam. And the flour batter uses only rice flour which i find it a bit too soft. Seasoning wise I think it tastes ok so I told myself to attempt again with the correct yam and adjust the flour batter!


Attempt #2: I adjusted the flour batter and honestly I think it is slightly too firm? Perhaps I can lower the tapioca starch and use more rice flour. The correct yam definitely brings a whole new level to the whole texture. But then as the ‘kueh’ is slightly too firm, i find it a bit dry after panfrying. Taste wise still ok. 

You can review my both attempts and maybe adjust slightly for your own preference! I am so going for attempt #3 and will update here again for my own reference! Yums!!



Chinese Orh Kueh - Version #1 (with the wrong yam)
500g China baby yam, peeled, wash n cube
1 handful dried shrimps, soaked and chopped slightly
2 Lup cheong (美珍香), deskin and chopped

Flour batter:
150g rice flour
600g water
1/3 chicken stock cube (msg free)
1tsp fish sauce
Dash of pepper
Dash of salt

Seasoning:
2tsp Light soya sauce
Dash of pepper

Garnish:
Shallot, fried til browned

Chinese Orh Kueh - Version #2 (with the correct yam)
500g yam, peeled, wash n cube
1 handful dried shrimps, soaked and chopped slightly
2 Lup cheong, deskin and chopped

Flour batter:
130g rice flour
70g Tapioca starch
600g water
1/3 chicken stock cube (msg free)
1tsp fish sauce
Dash of pepper
Dash of salt

Seasoning:
2tsp Light soya sauce
Dash of pepper

Garnish:
Shallot, fried til browned


1) Prepare all ingredients one side and fry shallots til crispy and browned
2) Using shallot oil, stir fry dried shrimps til fragrant and add in lupcheong and gently stir them well
3) Put in yam cubes and add seasoning. Mix well and fry for 3-5mins and take out.
4) Using the same wok, add in flour batter and stir well before adding in the ingredients that was fry earlier. Keep stirring over med heat.
5) Once the batter turns stickier, turn to lowest heat n keep stirring til it becomes thick and sticky.
6) Pour onto a greased pan and steam for 45mins - 1hr until it is firm. Cool it completely before slicing

No comments: