Thursday, April 28, 2016

English Muffins (updated Apr 29)


Been craving for English Muffins since my Big Breakfast at McDonalds the other day! Wahahha~ Tried to find them at Supermarket bread or frozen section but I cant see them anywhere... Thanks to a friend who helped me to get some Cornmeal from Phoon Huat, I finally have the last missing ingredients to make my own English Muffins! 

It so happen that I saw someone sharing a recipe in FB group and I KIV-ed it so that I can attempt. This recipe comes in handy and I am making them today. I used my Breadmaker to knead and leave it to proof. The dough wasnt sticky nor difficult to handle. 


I got a 530g dough which I made into 4 x 60g, 4 x 50g and 3 x 40g. Different sizes as I wanna see the size difference so nxt batch I can make them into my preferred sizes or even packed them for my gal's school lunchbox! 

I think the only flaw was it was too 'thin' cos I was worried about being too 'pong pong' and I sort of pressed it while pan frying them. Think nxt round I shall let them be slight pong for more chewy texture. Other than that, it taste equally as nice as what McDonalds is selling over Jam & Butter! 


And i packed this for their next day breakfast! Pan-fried the Muffins after spreading butter, put sliced cheese and 2 halve sausage b4 baking them for 5mins to melt the cheese. Tadaa~ Wonderful lunchbox to school, full of love!

English Muffins (adapted from BBC)
170ml Milk
22g Beaten Egg
300g Bread Flour
6g Salt
15g Sugar
15g Butter
6g Yeast

1) I put ingredients according to the sequence and let the breadmaker knead and proof.
2) Punch out air and prepare a baking tray with some cornmea scattered over. Divide into balls and flatten with palm. Proof for 30mins
3) Heat non-stick pan, place muffins slowly and fry over low heat. Carefully look after each side to brown  equally and not burnt. 
4) Sliced into halve after cool. Store in airtight once cooled and pan-fried b4 serving them. 

No comments: