Friday, June 28, 2019

Carrot Cake Sticks



Been wanting to eat this but this is so old school that its so rare to see. Tried it at Shunfu market before but still prefer the ones I always eat at Lorong Ah Soo market since I was a teen. 


I google and read a couple of recipes, it uses water, rice flour and salt for taste. Some cook the mixture before steaming, some just steam it directly. I choose the latter, to steam directly as I am worried about the sticky pots to deal with. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚


I am using 3:1:1 ratio for radish:water:rice flour. I omit salt as I wanted to try seasoning it with ikan billis powder. Apparently it is not saltish enough but then the kids enjoyed so much. I guess anythinf fried doesnt go wrong with kids right?! Heee... 

For me I enjoy it with some thai chilli as suggested by my group of friends. It makes it taste better than on its own. The texture is crispy and soft inside. If i had added salt, I think it would somewhat taste quite similar to those selling outside. The insides can be a bit more softer to resemblance those that sells from Lorong Ah Soo. Perhaps I can up the lower the ratio of rice flour to 0.5 and see if it makes any difference to the texture. 


My 3 kids, including the youngest had it plain and still want to go for more. Enjoying it so much! Kept another portion for stir frying them. Lets wait and see how it goes! 

Carrot Cake 
A) 300g grated radish 
100ml water

B) 100g rice flour
100ml water
1tsp ikan billis powder, can be replace by 2tsp salt

1) Grate radish and squeeze dry. Put on plate with 100ml water and steam for 30mins. Cool
2) Mix (B) and put cooled steamed radish in and mix it well.
3) Prepare wok for steaming. Put baking paper on baking tray and pour mixture in.
4) Steam on med-high fire for 45mins til it sets
5) Cut cooled carrot cake into strips n panfry each side til browned. Serve warm!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

When you steam radish is pour the water to the radish and steam?or the water is used for steaming?