Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Chiffon Craze




So lately, I have been 'hit' by the Chiffon Cake craze, I made 4 different type of flavours and is so amazed by the tips from my FB baking frens. I was advised to baked longer, maybe about 1hr to let it 'browned' nicely and also for the texture to be not so moist. The end results, it was so soft and nicely browned. I also experiement with a normal baking pan, instead of the tube pan as per norm. I managed to bake it too. The Sweet Potato Chiffon is the biggest hit, my grandma, hubby, children as well as my neighbour loves it. The rest was normal, hubby didnt like the Chammomile, said that it tasted kinda of artificial. Perhaps I should have reduced the tea leaves as per my 1st try. Hahaha..
Another was Carrot Chiffon & Apple Chiffon, both using the same recipe just that I tweak a little for Apple Chiffon, here you go.

Apple Chiffon (original recipe was Carrot Chiffon)
4 Egg Yolks
35g Fine Sugar
40g Olive Oil
20g Water
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
80g Cake Flour
60g Mashed Apples

4 Egg Whites
1/4 tsp Tartar
30g Fine Sugar

(1) Mix Egg yolks & sugar. Whisk til sugar melted
(2) Add Oil, water, vanilla essence followed by cake flour and mashed apples. Mix well
(3) Beat egg white til frothy, add in tartar
(4) Beat til more bubbles then add sugar gradually.
(5) Beat til it form stiff peaks
(6) Fold in egg white in 3 addition. Do not over-fold.
(7) Bake at 160 deg for 40-60mins.
Made a Tiramisu dessert cake for hubby's birthday. As he is flying off on the actual day, we had a simple celebration at home on wed. I did the tiramisu on a removable base 6" cake tin and arranged the sponge fingers on wednesday itself. Did a rushed one as worried hubby suddenly come out of work room, and the piping was bad.. hahhaa.. But the thought that count la. I used the Egg-less Tiramisu this time round and hubby likes it better than the egg version. Yummy, and i added more alcohol cos i wanna be 'naughty'. I replaced Rum Compound instead of the Kahlua/Baileys.
I also tried making donuts but I cant refer back where I got the recipe from. Anyway it wasn't my standard of the soft fluffly donuts. Wait til i get a good recipe. =

No comments: