Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Chicky Meal (in less than $10)


As my mum gave me some home-made chicken rice chilli, I decided to make chicken for meal times so that I can enjoy the chilli. Haha~

Both the meals cost me less than $10 for 3 adults and 2 toddlers meal. On my first nite, I steam white chicken, served with Caixin Wanton Soup to go with rice. I spent a total of $7 for my meal. Delicious, cheap and healthy.. ($5.35 chix+$0.65 veg+$1 wanton) 

On the second nite, my gal says she craved for stew eggs, so I decided to try my virgin attempt on Stew Soya Sauce Chicken, based on the recipe that I usually used for stewing meat. It came out a success, my grandma couldn't stop pinching the chicken after it came out from wok. And most impt my gal had her stew eggs!! My cost $6.35. ($5.35 chix+$1 eggs)

Try people, it is economical and healthy and most impt, simple to prepare.

Steam White Chix
1 Chix
Some salt
2-3 slices of ginger
Sauce to drizzle: 1Tbsp Sesame Oil + 1Tbsp Lt Soy Sauce + 1tsp Hua Tiao

1) Wash and pour boiling water over chicken. Drain and set aside.
2) Chop off the chicken feet nails, clean the inside. Rub salt over chicken and leave it for 45mins.
3) Wash away the salt, pat dry. Put ginger slice inside chicken and steam for 20mins. Open the cover and leave it to cool.
4) Chop chicken, drizzle sauce and serve with rice.

Stew Soya Sauce Chicken
1 Chicken
2Tbsp Sesame Oil
2Tbsp Lt Soy Sauce
2Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
2Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1Tbsp 5-Spice Powder
1tsp Hua Tiao
1tsp Cornflour
Dash of pepper
2 thick slice of ginger
1/2 clove Garlic

1) Wash and pour boiling water over chicken. Drain and set aside.
2) Chop off the chicken feet nails, clean the inside. Mix all ingredients except ginger and garlic and rub all over chicken. Stuff the garlic and ginger inside and put in zip log to marinate for 45mins or overnight if you want to prepare ahead.
3) Put chicken into wok with sauce, add 1-2 bowl of water and bring to boil.
4) Lower heat once boiling and cover wok, return every 5-8mins to drizzle gravy over chicken and toss chicken to prevent chicken burnt.
5) Arnd 20-25mins, test if chicken is cooked by poking chopstick thru chicken. If chopsticks go thru easily means chicken is cooked.
6) Dish chicken out and add hard boiled eggs if you wan some stew eggs. Boil for 15-20mins, adding bits of water if it gets lesser. Serve with rice.



No comments: