Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Pandan Gula Melaka Chiffon


Yes, I know it. I have been playing with Gula Melaka. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Dont ask me why, I also dont know why. After I got pregnant with #3, and gave birth, I just develop a liking for Gula Melaka. Ondeh ondeh cakes, ondeh ondeh and more... 

So I saw this Pandan Gula Melaka Chiffon and know that I just have to try it. Bookmarked and waited for a chance to do so. Not so easy, even with a helper and managing 3 kids (14m old and 2 primary school kids) Homework, fighting and playing, all also have to be involved. 

Nowsaday to prevent the mistake of weighing wrong amount of ingredients, I pre-packed them a day ahead so that I just have to 'assemble' it. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I hack with replacing the gula melaka chunks with gula melaka dessicated coconut. Taste lovely and the faint hint of coconut in the chiffon. The 2 different taste of pandan and gula = DELICIOUS!! 


It has been a long while since I baked a chiffon. Sadly though it taste nice, but the bottom and sides sort of sink in a bit. But after inverting bottom down, the whole cake is fine. Just that the sides, the longer sides are sank in. I wonder if its due to me squeezing the parchment paper in a rush, without cutting it or its the baking process. Nonetheless, I will definitely bake again since its so nice. But on a note, perhaps can reduce the gula melaka slightly as I find it a bit on the sweet side. 

Oh, and i cut a step by replacing the homemade gula melaka syrup with those ready store bought gula melaka syrup. And I didnt had time with the pandan juice either. Luckily it still turns out well. 

Here's a slice for the kids as dessert for recess. Specially requested by my gal to bring to school.


Pandan Gula Melaka Chiffon (adapted with slight modifications from Bake For Happy Kids)
Meringue
7 Whites 
60g Sugar

Pandan Batter
3 Yolks
60ml Milk
10ml Oil
1g Pandan Paste
60g Cake Flour
1/2tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Salt

Gula Melaka Batter
3 Yolks
45ml Gula Melaka Syrup
20ml Milk
10ml Oil
1g Pandan Paste
60g Cake Flour
1/2tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Salt

Gula Melaka Dessicated Coconut
Approximately 4-5Tbsp of dessicated coconut. Add enough gula melaka syrup to mix and cover all of the coconut

1) Mix the above ingredients for the 2 batter and leave aside
2) Beat the whites into soft peaks, do not overbeat
3) Divide meringue equally into the 2 batters, mixing 1/2 meringue in at a time for each batter
4) Pour 1/2 of Pandan batter into tin, spread evenly.
5) Sprinkle evenly on top of batter. Then pour remaining pandan batter to cover
6) Pour Gula Melaka batter over and use spatula to even it
7) Bake at 180deg for 40-50mins once top is browned nicely and skewer comes out clean
8) Invert once out of oven to cool

No comments: