Monday, October 22, 2012

My 1st Nonya Attempt



So, after the saltier version of Rice Dumplings which I have finally mastered, in my own standards, I need to conquer 1 more. That is the sweet version of Rice Dumplings - Nonya Dumplings. 
Ok, I am a lazy SAHm and everything I need to simplify and wrapping a dumpling seriously need a lot of prep and also the method of preparing the ingredients. And for the saltier version, everything was done in marination and no stir-frying before wrapping. So, how can I simplify this Nonya version the simplest way I could. Ok, let's try and see how it taste first for this attempt.
I stir the meat, which I replaced with minced meat cos I think I had enough of pork belly. And for the rice, I just sort of 'marinate' them with salt, pepper and coriander powder which is supposed to be stir fry them with the rice. I modify from Annie's blog - annieliciousfood and here is mine..
After trying the dumpling, I find that it is really yummy even though I didn't fry the rice fragrant. It is  considered good enough for a simple and fuss-free, as in lesser fuss required, and can definitely satisfy your cravings.
Nonya Rice Dumplings (adapted from Annieliciousfood)
200g Glutinous Rice - Soaked overnight then rinse off and marinate with:
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
1Tbsp Coriander powder

100g Minced Meat
50g Candid Melon, chopped
3 Big Chinese Mushroom, chopped
1tsp salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Coriander Powder
50-100ml water

1) Stir fry garlic with olive oil til fragrant
2) Add in mushroom, candid melons and minced meat
3) Add in seasonings and then water. Simmer for 5-10mins and taste.
4) Dish out and cool
5) Soak and prepare leaves 1 day ahead
6) Wrap in leaves with prepared rice and boil for 1 hour

No comments: