Thursday, October 4, 2012

Snacks for little children


Did I mention that my kids loved egg tarts a lot? They will usually eat at least 2 each on top of whatever dim sum that we ordered. So this Children's Day, I decided to make the super mini egg tarts with the moulds that I have gotten a friend from msia to buy for me.
They are about 'pop in the mouth' size for adult so maybe about 2-3 mouthful for little children. And I believe 1 egg tart each is enough to make the teacher busy.. And I have also prepared a few bigger size ones, about those mini egg tarts you see from some Dim Sum place, for the teachers. I hope they will like it.

the 'naked' tarts
after sauna


the side view after i bite
I replaced the plain flour with cake flour cos I have ran out of plain flour at home. Initially didn't want to make them cos I am worried of the end products. But after some persuasion from a dear friend, I decided to take the plunge with my fingers crossed. And Thank God, it is really yummy.
Egg Tart Pastry (adapted from DeQueen) **Makes 20 super mini & 16 mini**
125g Butter
230g Plain Flour (replaced with Cake Flour)
60g Icing Sugar (reduced to 55g)
1 egg yolk
1/2 egg white

1) Rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
2) Add icing sugar
3) add in egg yolks and white, mix to a pliable dough
4) Refrigerate for 20mins before using

Egg Tart Custard (reference to prev post) **i halve the recipe**
65g Milk
1 Egg
1/2 Egg White
30g Sugar
33g Hot Water
1tsp Vanilla
Pinch of salt

1) Stir sugar into hot water til dissolve
2) Mix in milk, vanilla, eggs, salt and mix well
3) Strain the mixture and leave aside

Assembly the tarts and custard:
1) Weigh 15g dough for super mini tart mould, 20g for mini tart mould
2) Roll out and press into tart mould
3) Pour egg custard 3/4 full, bake at 200deg for 20-25min or until custard bubble up

No comments: