Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Oreo Kek Lapis



Been wanting to try baking this for the longest time. But the process, amount of eggs always deter me from doing it. I cant imagine standing in front of the oven or rather in and out of kitchen for a good 2-3 hours without disturbance from the kids so I always put it off. 

I baked approximately 8-9 layers which I cant even remember exactly. Haha. I only know I bring in and out of oven MANY TIMES! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Cake batter I seems to overmix slightly, or did I accidentally overmix or undermix the butter portion. It sort of curdle a bit. Whites was slightly overbeat too! πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ πŸ™ˆ Tastewise was ok, I think can add a bit more spice for the taste. Texture is ok, except 1-2 layers I think a bit underbaked? Not too sure either as I need to make again to know! πŸ€”πŸ€” I wonder when will i have the courage! 


I wrap the bigger ones in cling. Apparently need to be kept a day in airtight for the flavour and oil to be released. Keeping fingers crossed tml will be better. But i dunno why my bottom layers seems a bit oilier. Need to study again if its normal! 



Kids will get some for school snack. Hope they enjoy this simple Oreo kek lapis that Mummy baked for them! 


After giving them out for friends to taste, I am glad most are positive reviews, even from my hubby. And I am left with the sides which I trim from the cakes. Also very yummy le. I wonder what does the bakery does with those trimmed sides? 


Oreo Kek Lapis (adapted and slight adjustment from WensDelight)
Portion 1:
20 yolks
140g Sugar

Portion 2:
500g chilled butter, room temp
200ml condensed milk
2tsp vanilla essence
150g cake flour
3/4 tsp spice powder

Portion 3:
10 whites
90g sugar

1) Beat yolks and sugar til balloon stage and set aside
2) Mix butter and condensed milk with vanilla essence til pale in colour and fluffy, creamy
3) Fold in dry ingredients to butter mixture 
4) Beat whites n sugar til medium-stiff peak
5) While whites is mixing, fold in yolk mixture to butter mixture in 3 additions 
6) Fold in whites to above batter in 3 mixture gently (If u wan 2 flavour, split 1/2 portion out and fold in oreo)
7) Preheat baking tin and oven 180deg
8) Line heated tin with baking paper and scoop the first layer of batter in and bake for 6-7 mins or tio top is browned nicely
9) Scoop same amount of batter onto first layer and baked using top heat for 6-7mins or til top is browned again. Continue to do until all layers are completed, pressing after each layer is done.
10) Cool and store in airtight for a day. Trim the edges and cut into slices before serving



No comments: