Monday, November 19, 2012

Rayshon 2nd Bash



choc-oreo-choc
straw-choc-straw














It's finally my boy's Big 2 and I have so many ideas for his cake. From creamed cake, fondant cake then finally ice cream cake. Hahaa.. As for the design, i also went from cake toppers, tiered cake with ice cream below and a creamed car cake on top, fondant as toppers etc. I seriously have so many ideas. Ended up, edible icing with his fav - Thomas Train. LOL
So, I used the Strawberry Oreo ice cream & Oreo ice cream that I did previously, coupled with another Chocolate ice cream I took from Browneyed Baker too. I baked a Chocolate Chiffon to go with it too.
As my oven is only big enough for a max of 8" to go in. I baked a 4-eggs 8" Chocolate Chiffon. Cut into 2 layers, used 1 for my 8" and carve out a 6" to make 2 cakes. 1 for cake cutting and 1 for spare for just in case.
I made it in the combination of Chocolate-Oreo-Chocolate and Strawberry Oreo-Chocolate-Strawberry Oreo, both with Chocolate Chiffon as base. And guess what, both 8" & 6" gone aldy!! I managed to feed 30 people with some who dont eat ice cream cake. Lucky me.
 
As for the food, dear mummy decided to take the plunge and go ahead with her own cooking since I want to make the food on my own with some varieties. Here is the compliation of what I have. And i put my Ikea 3-tier into use for my pastries - Cream Puffs, Mini Chocolate Cupcakes & Mini Marble Butter Cake. Nice!!
Thanks for all the well-wishes and pressie and hongbaos!! 
Chocolate Ice Cream (reference to Browneyed Baker)
For the Chocolate Ice Cream:
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1½ cups heavy cream
1½ cups whole milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Prepare the Ice Cream Custard: Combine the chocolate and cream in a large, heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is melted, then remove the bowl from the saucepan. Set it aside with a mesh strainer over the top.
2. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula (it should reach 170-175 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer). Pour the custard through the strainer into the chocolate mixture and stir in the vanilla extract. Place the bowl in an ice bath and stir occasionally until the mixture has cooled to room temperature. Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.


No comments: