Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Craze with Assorted Breads

Assorted Bread Part 1
Assorted Bread Part 2

My craze started when i saw 1 of my Facebook friend baking them. Was so yummilicious from the look and it really makes me so determined to try and bake it for Big & Small Bread Lovers at home. Plus recently, I keep having problems with my normal brad loaf baking that I thought I needed a better recipe or rather, something for a change.
First attempt, as from the pic (Assorted Bread Part 1), I attempted to brush with beaten egg + milk and ended up in a pale yellow shade. Not that appealing but trust me, it was soft, yummy and my family love it.
The next day, I need to make a fresh batch cos it was finishing as everyone was so into the freshly baked and taste wonderful bread. So this time, I brush with jus egg yolk + a lil bit of milk. And yes, it looks so appealing.. The next thing to do is jus to improve on the shaping.
As for the bread texture, it is definetely soft and still SOFT even after a day. But anything more than that, I am not too sure as it always get FINISHED the very next day..
So I will share the recipe here then..
Assorted Breads, adapted from 胚芽玉米麵包 (translate in my interpretation for those who don't read chinese)
270g Bread Flour
30g Cake Flour
1/2 tsp Instant Yeast
30g Sugar (i used 1 Tbsp)
3g Salt (i used 1/2tsp)
1 Egg
150ml Milk (i use HL milk)
30g Animal Oil (i used unsalted butter)

1) Mix all above, except butter into dough (add milk gradually so as not to have a sticky dough)
2) Add butter and continue to knead til dough becomes smooth, elastic
3) Leave to proof in a oiled bowl for 1 hour or til doubled in size
4) Punch out air in dough and transfer to a floured surface
5) Divide them into 8 pieces of approx70g (i divide into 40g), Rest for 15mins
6) Roll dough out and wrap filling of your choice (i did not try the filling as per recipe)
7) Leave to ptoof for 1 hour or until doubled in size
8) Preheat oven at 180 deg, and bake for 16-18min
White Bread loaf (Side View)
White Bead Loaf (inside view)
And i chanced upon this recipe from the same blogger and tried it out. Result = soft even after a day.. Yummy..
San2 Xing4 Bai3 Tu2 Si4 (White Bread Loaf), adapted from 山形白吐司
350g Bread Flour
3/4 tsp Instant Yeast
Olive Oil (any Animal Oil) 20g (i used unsalted butter)
1/2 tsp salt
20g Sugar
220g Ice Water (i use cold milk)

1) Mix all above except butter into dough
2) Add butter and continue to knead til dough becomes elastic, smooth and shiny
3) Leave to proof in an oiled bowl for 1 hour or doubled in size
4) Punch out air in dough and roll out (you may refer to the blogger's pic for instruction on how to roll, basically the same for all bread loaf)
5) Leave to proof in bread tin for 1 hour or doubled in size
6) Preheat oven at 170deg, bake for 40mins
Mini Parmesan Bread (without parmesan)

And my last craze, well-loved by my toddlers, i also loved it. Saved $$ from buying a packet of $1.60 from Four Leaves each time. At least now its freshly baked. But then they can finish all in a day for snacks, breakfast or anytime.. But i cheated, I didnt add the Parmesan Cheese..
Mini Parmesan Bread, adapted from 一口乳酪麵包
200g Bread Flour
1/3 tsp Instant Yeast
30g Sugar (i use 1Tbsp)
1 Egg
1/8 tsp salt
1 big spoon of Parmesan Cheese
80g Milk
30g Unsalted Butter

1) Mix all except butter into dough
2) Add butter and continue to knead til dough becomes elastic, smooth and shiny
3) Leave to proof for 1 hour or doubled in size
4) Punch out air in dough and roll out about 1cm thickness
5) Cut into cubes and leave to proof for an hour again
6) Preheat oven at 180deg, bake for 12-14mins

So that is 3 recipes in a post. Long post and 'long' craze... Happy baking..

No comments: