Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Today's Bakes - Chiffon & Cakes

After failing many times with cakes during the time when I just gotten my Kitchenaid, I sort of just threw myself into making nice adn yummy breads for my hubby and kids that I seldom read up or even try any cakes recipes. So lately, I have went back into baking cakes and ok, the most difficult for myself to overcome - CHIFFON CAKES! And I am so glad cos i finally made it. SUCCESS!!
Close up - Pandan Chiffon

Close up - Chammomile Chiffon

The little cute Chiffon
So I used 2 recipes, Pandan Coconut Chiffon Cake and Berry Tea Chiffon Cake. I followed the recipe for the Pandan Coconut but amended the Berry Tea Chiffon Cake to Chamomile Chiffon Cake. Here is the amendments I have made.
Chamomile Chiffon Cake (originated from Berry Tea Chiffon Cake)
3 Egg Yolks
15g Caster Sugar (i used fine sugar)
1/4tsp Salt
40g Veg Oil (i use Olive)
3 bags of Chamomile Tea
60g Hot Water
75g Cake Flour (i use Top Flour)
3 Egg White
65g Caster Sugar (i use 50g fine sugar)
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
Preheat oven to 170deg. Sift Flour and set aside
Cut the tea bags, pour tea leaf into a cup.
Pour hot water into it and leave it aside to cool.
With a hand whisk, whisk egg yolk, salt and sugar together.
Add oil, tea together with the tea leaf residue and flour into the egg yolk batter.
Whisk until well combined. 
Use a cake mixer, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
Gradually add in sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
Then fold in the rest of the meringue in two portions lightly until well combined.
Lastly fold in the cranberry.
Pour batter into a 20cm tube pan, smooth the surface.
Place pan into a preheated oven and bake for 35-40mins
I gave 1 to my lovely neighbour and 1 for ourself, planning for tomorrow's breakfast. Ended up became hubby's afternoon tea. Haha.. Ended up baking another item on my 'to-do-list'.. Oreo Buttercake. Oh, its yummy and of cos, i gave a few slices to my neighbour. How not to share the goodness. I really seriously recommend you to try it if u have the time. Its yummy. I, whom do not really eat my own bakes, i also like it.

Late Night supper
Final product


Anyway, I didnt have any yogurt so I made some modifications. It taste but then, not too sure about the original recipe's taste cos I have not tried before but def, will try it when free. Here's the list:
225g cake flour (or Top Flour)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
85g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
170g sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup(240ml) whipping cream
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla essence
80g Oreo cookies, roughly crushed

No comments: