Been putting the red velvet cupcakes on my to-do list and thinking about it. My neighbor also ask if I could make them as she loved Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting so Easter Day seems to give me an excuse to make them.
I googled a few recipes and decided to go with Joyofbaking as it seems simpler and more straight forward. LOL. First attempt so kinda scared. But am not using the recipe for the cream cheese frosting as I don't like using whipped cream so much. Fattening!
I am using the cream cheese frosting from Browneyedbaker. It is using a combination of butter and cream cheese with icing sugar. It tastes not bad and I adjust the sweetness slightly too. It is not as sourish as those sold outside. Only downfall was I didn't use Hershey today.
Since Easter is approaching, I am decorating them with little chocolate eggs to cheer the kids up. Gave them to my neighbor kids. And for my kids, definitely something more special, Disney theme eggs!
Red Velvet Cupcakes (adapted from Joyofbaking)
* I reduce sugar and halve the recipe for 6 mini cup
63grams sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5grams regular or Dutch-processed cocoa powder
29grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
60grams granulated white sugar
1 medium egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
1/4 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1) Cream butter til smooth, add in sugar and cream til combined
2) Add in eggs and vanilla extract
3) Add in flour (with salt, coco and baking powder) and buttermilk (added with red colorings) in alternate additions.
4) Add baking soda to vinegar and add to cake batter
5) Scoop 1/2 full and bake at 170deg for 25-30mins
Cream Cheese Frosting (adapted from Browneyedbaker)
* I halve the recipe
1cup Icing Sugar
1/2tbsp Vanilla extract
1) Whip butter & Cream Cheese til smooth
2) Slowly add in icing sugar til combine, add in vanilla
3) Whip til consistency is medium stiff peak