Monday, March 4, 2013

My 1st class related to my fav hobby - BAKING

Was informed by some of the members in MFWL about Richard Goh starting a class on every Sunday afternoon about creaming technique as well as decorations. I immediately decided to sign up after discussin the childcare arrangement for the kids with hubby, so excited was I. I waited patiently, 3rd March 2013, my first class!!

So, this first lesson, Richard Goh roughly tell us what we expect to learn from the 8 sessions ad briefly explain on the 'rules' of class. Basically no harsh rules and he is a very friendly and jovial teacher to have. I loved the way he teaches the class, I feel like I am learning frm a friend rather than a teacher. That really makes it stress free.

So for the class, we need to bring our sponge for every lesson. In a hurry, I decided to goggle randomly and use this recipe from Little Teochew. The recipe is light, soft and most. It has a hint of buttery taste but I find a little sweet though I reduce 15g of sugar from the original recipe. So since I have 8 sessions, I gonna try different recipe each week til I get 1 that I really liked. 

Today, I made a real simple design as I was really caught off-handed on the decorating part. As for creaming, at least I learnt that we should out the cake bottom up instead of front up. Reason, cos u won't get so much crumbs when creaming the cake as compared to using the front up. And it is, I don't have any crumbs.



As for the creaming technique, patience & slow and steady is the way to it. Learn to listen to the tips and slowly try to master in ur own ways. And I should have taken a pic of my 'naked' creamed cake before deco so that I can see if I got improve after 8 sessions. Shall do from next class onward.

Oh, I have some videos to share too. Once I have time to sort it out, I will post on my blog to share the tips from Richard Goh in creaming the cake. Stay tune.

Sponge Cake (adapted frm Little Teochew)
- 4 eggs
- 100g cake flour
- 100g castor sugar
- 12g spongecake stabiliser (I omit)
- 25g milk
- 90g melted butter 

1. Put all the ingredients except the melted butter into a mixing bowl.
2. Beat everything on high for at least 7 mins until stiff and creamy (aka “ribbon stage”). 
3. Add in melted butter at this stage and mix in thoroughly.
4. Pour into a 9-inch lined baking pan and bake at 190 degree celsius for about 20 mins or until a test skewer comes out clean. When done, remove the cake immediately and leave it on wire rack to cool.

No comments: