Sunday, October 20, 2013

2D1N Batam Staycation with the kids - Part I



We had a short Staycation over the weekend at Harris Batam Center. It was a treat from Hubby cos I was complaining about having a short trip to eat, shop and relax. I have been seeing frens posting about Batam but my last trip there was years ago. 

Hubby didn't really want to go, he felt that it would be a bit rowdy and not suitable for families with kids to go. But I did some homework and managed to convinced him for a day trip actually, but who knows, he says let's stay for a night then. Hurray!! And I went ahead with the prep with a bit of 'planning' lessons learnt. 

(1) Do not plan to go during peak hours. You never know if there is jams, train breakdowns etc.
(2) Do book hotel next to shopping malls, instead of ferry terminal. You may save more over the taxi fare, rather than just being early to Ferry Terminal as you can always set off early.
(3) If you are keen to visit whole of Batam, it's worthwhile to follow tour cos money is saved from traveling. But my next trip is only gonna be Nagoya Hill Mall.
And many more pointers to note, but the above 3 is more important.

I booked Harris Hotel - Batam Center at 695,000IDR, with breakfasts for 2. I took 2 rooms, with my grandma and auntie in the next room. We had connecting rooms, 1 King + 2 Twins. (I think Twin bed more comfy, my King's mattress was overly 'slumped in' in the center. Breakfast is average, basically the croissant and bread are nicer.

We went to the dry market, next to Gideon Hotel & BCS Shopping Mall. The Ikan Billis are cheap, dried shrimps didn't 'pass' my grandma standard. And the tidbits are nice too, but I didnt over-buy cos I am not really into snacking. The market sells cheap children clothing. PJs are SG$3-4, and I got a HK top at SG$5-6.

We then went to Food Court opposite for lunch. The Bak Kut Teh is average, Chicken Rice was yummy, Wanton Mee is not bad but very spicy. All for merely SG$3 or less.

BSC Shopping didn't have much stuff. We bought children soccer jersey at less than SG$3. Nothing really interesting there, mainly hand phone casing, accessories. We then proceed backtdo our room for check in.


Hotel looks kinda not that classy from outside, but the room interior is consider not bad with the price we are paying. Standing shower is my preference when I travel with kids. 

Part 2 shopping at Nagoya and I didn't cover 1/4 of the mall. It's so huge. We bought a lot of stuff for the kids, I dint really have 'mood' to see my stuff. Managed to get 2 baking tin and 4 silicon cupcakes case with 'hands'. All for less than SG$10! (From the Hypermart) My recommendation is to go there to spend a day of shopping and it's so worth it. Google for hotels nearby!!

We had dinner at Grand Duck, which I feel comparable than going to the Seafood Center. It's SG$40 for what we had. Too bad no prawns cos I wanna try the Oats Prawns. Would recommend eating here since the standard of seafood center dropped.

That's all for Day 1.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

NICE :D
i'm going to Batam this week end :)

Jimmy Wong said...

wats a budget range should i be expecting? just planing to walk around sightseeing n eat some food... seafood maybe