Monday, June 3, 2013

Korean Glass Noodles (Chap Chae)


For the previous Korean fair from Cold Storage, my aunt got me pack of the Korean glass noodles and I haven been down to searching for recipe to cook them. And just so I saw a fren cooking it, it reminds me that my pack of noodles still sitting in the store, waiting to be 'expired'..

I googled a little, bought some bean sprouts, spring onions, cut some hotdogs & fishball strips, shrimps as ingredients to go along with it. I saw this recipe from Steamy Kitchen and found it real useful with the photo guides and clear instructions on how to cook. So here I go, having it as dinner today!


Verdict : yummy!! Not bad for 1st attempt. I added 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce for colour & 1tbsp of oyster sauce. Sugar is omit.. 
Chap Chae (adapted from Steamy Kitchen)
1/2 pound dried Korean sweet potato noodles
2 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1 tablespoon cooking oil
3/4 cup thinly sliced onions *omit as I don't really eat onions*
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks *omit*
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 stalks green onions, cut into 1″ lengths
1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced (shitake, wood ear) *replaced with white jap straw mushrooms*
1/2 lb spinach, washed well and drained *replace with beansprouts*
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar *omit*
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
**add hotdogs n fish ball strips for the kids**
Fill a large pot with water and boil. When water is boiling, add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again and toss with only 1 tsp of the sesame oil. Use kitchen shears to cut noodles into shorter pieces, about 8 inches in length. Set aside.
In bowl, mix soy sauce & sugar together. Add the cooking oil in a wok or large saute pan on high heat and swirl to coat. When the cooking oil is hot but not smoking, fry onions and carrots, until just softened, about 1 minute. Add the garlic, green onions and mushrooms, fry 30 seconds. Then add the spinach, soy sauce, sugar and the noodles. Fry 2-3 minutes until the noodles are cooked through. Turn off heat, toss with sesame seeds and the remaining 1 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.

No comments: